Saturday, February 23, 2013

Strasburg 'geeked up' during first start

USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg allowed two runs and three hits in the first inning.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Time was, if Stephen Strasburg gave up a home run in the first inning of the first game of spring training, the rest of the Nationals dugout would have been ready to brace for impact.

"I think last year at this time, if he would've done what he did in that first inning, we would have seen gloves flying, cups flying," shortstop Ian Desmond said. "He was pretty fairly composed today."

Consider it another important step in Strasburg's progression as a big-league pitcher. After getting roughed up by the Mets for two runs on three hits in the first inning this afternoon, the fourth-year right-hander composed himself and cruised through a 1-2-3 second inning, ending his first game appearance since last September's shutdown on a high note.

As he's come to learn with experience, results in late-February don't mean squat.

"I remember, like my first couple spring trainings, I was coming in there, I threw a lot more beforehand," he said. "I was in-season, ready to go, when spring training started. I've slowly started to
Read more

5 comments:

NatsLady said...

That is an issue with the WBC seven starts for Stras? So many meaningless games LOL

Scooter said...

I haven't seen the second inning yet, but in the first, I was pleased to see the kid keep throwing the fastball even as he got hammered. He knew what he wanted to work, and he did it.

Nice to watch a ball game in the afternoon. Yay!

SonnyG10 said...

Stras's maturity in thinking is beautiful to behold. Love our HOF in the making.

baseballswami said...

I love his new maturity as much as I love his fastball.

Unknown said...

agree with Sonny and then some. If Stras gets his head together, he is really going to be a force beyond what he already is. I do wonder if Stras can hit 100+ on his fastball this year, or maybe that's gone forever -- not that he needs 100+ to win 25 games a year

Post a Comment