Friday, February 22, 2013

Nats hope Young can be 6th starter

USA Today Sports Images
Chris Young is 53-43 with a 3.79 ERA in 159 career starts.
VIERA, Fla. -- For months, there has been concern within the Nationals organization about the lack of viable pitching depth should one of their five starters succumb to injury.

If Chris Young is finally healthy after a long battle with shoulder trouble -- and if he's willing to report to Class AAA when camp breaks in a month -- the Nationals might just have their much-needed No. 6 starter.

"As far as I'm concerned, he steps into that role," manager Davey Johnson said. "If anything happens to any of my starters, he'd be right at the top of the list."

Young, who agreed to a minor-league contract yesterday, arrived at Nationals camp today. The 33-year-old right-hander took a physical and was scheduled to throw a bullpen session in front of team officials, then officially join the club for the remainder of the spring.
Read more

14 comments:

MicheleS said...

It would be great to have him in Syracuse. Would rather see him vs Maya.

Section 222 said...

Love it love it love it. And it's great he's excited about our winning organization. But after reading the almost tragic stories about the indignities Lannan endured to fill that role last year, I kind of doubt he'll do it if he has an MLB rotation option at the end of ST.

Doc said...

If last September with the Mets was a demo of his regained status, he certainly would be a valuable asset at 'Cuse.

However, if Young has a good camp, there are lots of teams out there that need pitching and he would be snapped up quicker than stadium beer on a hot day.

The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. said...

In the next scandal to hit the Nats, I predict that it will be revealed that Yuniesky Maya has been pitching under false pretenses. He's not Cuban, he's Japanese and his real name is Yu Suckish.

sm13 said...

This quote from Young warms my heart: "Right now, I just felt like [I want] to be part of a winning culture, a winning environment." It also makes me want to pinch myself -- is this really the same team that held an open audition for pitchers only a few years ago? Darn, this is fun!

I guess Young's acquisition means we're no longer on Javier Vasquez watch.

3on2out said...

From the "that was then and this is now" file: this guy was hard on the Nationals. In 9 starts he was 3-2 with a 2.75 ERA. I was never pleased to see him on the bump.

baseballswami said...

Did you read the Heyman story about Drew? Apparently he was in horrible pain through the playoffs and has kept it a total secret- still won't discuss it. Werth confirmed.

waddu eye no said...

davey quote of the day:
“And Harp hit the cutoff man, so I was happy.”

natsfan1a said...

I'd be interested to read that, swami, if you've got a link. I couldn't find it just now with a quick online search.

natsfan1a said...

Never mind. I found it.

sm13 said...

Thanks for the link 1a. That is an amazing story.

NatsNut said...

I agree about the Drew story. I'm stunned. and it just confirms my point a post or two ago that nobody knows anything about anything.

natsfan1a said...

You're welcome, sm13.

Section 222 said...

Just read that story about Drew's back pain in the NLDS. I think I'm going to be sick.

Post a Comment