Thursday, May 9, 2013

Werth's MRI on hamstring negative

Photo by USA Today

Still out of the Nationals' lineup with a sore right hamstring, Jayson Werth underwent an MRI Thursday morning that came up negative in initial results. The team wants to have team medical director Dr. Wiemi Douoguih take a closer look, however, before a specific return date is announced.

With the MRI showing no serious problems, Davey Johnson believes the hamstring acting up has more to do with Werth being dehydrated. The Nats' outfielder has been dealing with a stomach problem over the past week.

"They put him on an antibiotic and his MRI, I think in talking to Jayson, was okay," Johnson said. "Wiemi hasn't really gone over it with a fine tooth comb yet, but he's going to look at it. We'll know more, but I imagine hopefully what he's on, he'll be good to go soon."


Read more >>

11 comments:

Rabbit34 said...

Yeah, the diagnosis is probably correct. Take me, I keep spasming. Think I'll just drink more. Maybe eat more carrots.

Holden Baroque said...

If he's dehydrated, and on antibiotics, I wonder if the problem isn't further downstream than his stomach. Not that it makes a difference to us, I suppose. Just thinking out loud.

PChuck said...

Negative, Oh no!

Oh wait, negative is good? I always get those mixed up!

:)

Tcostant said...

This is so sad:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Woman-Chokes-on-Hot-Dog-at-Wrigley-Field-Dies-206641091.html

SCNatsFan said...

Sounds like diverticulitis/osis to me with the placement on antibiotics. Then again I'm only a couple of hundered miles away so I wouldn't bet on my diagnosis.

peric said...

Sounds like diverticulitis/osis to me with the placement on antibiotics.

If true, that could be really bad.

Holden Baroque said...

IANAD, and I don't even stay in Holiday Inns, but what makes you think diverticulosis, and not, say, a food-borne bacterial problem?

Eric said...

I'm pretty dubious that it's a bacterial infection in his gut. There are very few bacterial types of gastroenteritis in the US, and if he had any of those that do occur (E coli, Salmonella, Shigella), he wouldn't be out of bed, let alone doing sprints or sitting in the dugout.

Diverticulitis (wikipedia, fwiw) sounds like it's more of a structural disease than an infectious one.

But, who the hell knows.

Steady Eddie said...

This has really, in the immortal words of Monty Python, got silly. What, are we going to start speculating next on what GI surgery he needs and how long the recovery period would be? How about which hospital he should go to?

Let's just all step away from the keyboard on this post and go back to the game thread.

SCNatsFan said...

Well I am a Doctor and have life long GI problems - including all of the above lol - and really the only GI problem that antibiotics help with is diverticulitis, which is structural but the outpuchings can trap bacteria and get infected. Again, not saying it is but if it was a test question that's what I'd answer. But I know it doesn't make your hammy hurt!

Holden Baroque said...

Well, I am glad we got that settled, at least.

Post a Comment