Monday, April 25, 2011

Stairs on 0-for-11: "Just embarrassing"

US Presswire photo
Matt Stairs enters Monday night's game hitless in 11 at-bats this season.
PITTSBURGH -- Matt Stairs has been in this game too long and hit his way out of too many slumps to start mincing words now at age 43. And the Nationals' struggling pinch-hitter isn't making any excuses for his 0-for-11 start to the season.

"I can honestly say my 11 at-bats I've had so far -- besides my four walks -- have been just embarrassing," he said before Monday night's game against the Pirates. "I'll be the first one to admit it.

"The thing that bothers me is, it's 0-for-11, but it's not even good at-bats. It pisses me off. I can honestly say when I step into the batter's box, I have no chance of getting a hit."

Over the course of 19 big-league seasons, Stairs has endured through his share of slumps, including an 0-for-30 slide that stretched out over nearly two months in 2009 with the Phillies. So he's not about to start panicking, though he did lose a bit of sleep Sunday night.
Read more

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's 43. Even the great Ted Williams (and he certainly could hit!!!) had quit by then. Its time to hang up the spikes and become a hitting coach.

Anonymous8 said...

"The thing that bothers me is, it's 0-for-11, but it's not even good at-bats. It pisses me off. I can honestly say when I step into the batter's box, I have no chance of getting a hit."

I just re-read this a few times and if this quote is accurate, why is he still on this team? I thought he was part of Rizzo's retirement recruits?

Tank said...

"I can honestly say when I step into the batter's box, I have no chance of getting a hit."

If that's true, maybe he should honestly say that to Riggleman before he walks up there praying for a walk.

BallstonNat said...

What do you all think would be the tipping O'fer number that might force Rizzo's hand to make a move? We are at 0-11 right now. I say 0-17. Gives him about 2 more weeks. Also, these comments might be him seeing the writing on the wall too.

Thank goodness for Mr. Nix and his bat off the bench.

Mark'd said...

How's about "just pathetic". I'm wondering the negative impact of having a guy like this in the clubhouse.

Joe Seamhead said...

43 says it all. Once in a while a Minnie Minoso type guy comes along and defies the Grim Reaper. Matt, you sir, are no Minnie.

joemktg said...

Here's pathetic: attendance at PNC tonight.

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said...

Stairs. Cora. Hairston. First bus outta town.

Bring back Bernie. At least he could run.

Anonymous said...

How about a right fielder with a mammoth contract hitting only .218 with a ton of strikeouts and a few defensive miscues? Is he embarrassed as well?

Manassas Nats Fan said...

Pinch hitters going into tonight were a collective 1 for 20. The one is by Jesus Flores who back in the minors. its again tonight.

No hits again tonight.

Stairs attitude in not feeling he will get a hit I believe is not only his attitude, but several people's. You have to wash the team of that attitude.

You need to believe every at bat you will get a hit. Will you? No, but if you do not believe it you have no business collecting a check.

N. Cognito said...

Attitude has nothing to do with it.
Cora, Hairston, Nix and Stairs. When you're on the downhill side of a mediocre career, suckitude is expected.

This bench is no better than last year's.

Stairs should retire now.

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, it's all Ian Desmond fault.

Manassas Nats Fan said...

I am not one of those who blame Desi for all the team's problems. He gets his share only. However I would like to see a week or two where he is 2B and Espinosa is the SS, and see what happens. It could be worse (though I doubt it). To do nothing about it is simply boneheaded.

Post a Comment