Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Johnson leaves game with numb leg

Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson left the Nationals dugout during the seventh inning of today's game.
Davey Johnson left the Nationals dugout in the seventh inning of today's 5-1 win over the Phillies after losing feeling in his left leg, a sensation doctors attributed to a lower back problem, but one the 69-year-old manager insists won't prevent him from performing his usual duties during the postseason.

"I'm OK, nothing wrong with me," Johnson said after the game. "About the third inning of the game, I started losing all the feeling in my left leg. Just numb. About the seventh inning, it didn't let up."

Johnson said he received treatment that included a muscle relaxer, aspirin and anti-inflammatory medication. Team doctor Wiemi Douoguih gave Johnson five X-rays and diagnosed a nerve problem in the third and fourth lumbar vertebrae in the lower back.

Johnson expects to receive an injection in the area when the swelling goes down.



"[Douoguih] thinks I'll be better when I get on this medication," said Johnson, who was walking around after the game, though a bit slower than usual. "But I just didn't want to embarrass myself if my leg gave out. Didn't feel that was a good idea."

Johnson's absence from the dugout was first noticed when bench coach Randy Knorr walked out to the mound in the seventh inning to make a pitching change.

"I thought he just didn't want to manage; he was tired of managing," Ryan Zimmerman said with a laugh. "Everyone else got a day off, yesterday or today, so I thought he was taking one."

Johnson, the oldest manager in the majors, has described himself in good physical shape since taking the job with the Nationals last summer. He did deal with multiple health scares during his 10-year absence from the big leagues, including a ruptured appendix in 2004 and heart surgery in early 2011.

10 comments:

ehay2k said...

Rest and heal Davey - we all need you!

SCNatsFan said...

Well we know what happens when a Nat gets cortisone... good things happen!

Unknown said...

Hey I have the same condition! He may be on the way to having spinal epidurals.

JaneB said...

I'm with SC -- cortisone is the magic elixir in that clubhouse. May it, or something even better, put Davey on the mend soon!

NatsLady said...

Be well, Davey. Glad you (and the team) don't have to fly cross-country back and forth in two days!

natsfan1a said...

I'm glad to learn what happened, as we'd noticed his absence and had wondered (well, I worried, because I'm a worrywart).

If his leg had gone out from under him during a pitching change, we'd probably have just thought he was trying to pull a Gio. Feel better, Davey.

The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. said...

It's all just a plot to deflect some of the sympathy MOY votes Dusty Baker might have gotten for going in the hospital.

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said...

My theory: Teddy's victory was too much for the Skipper. Get well, Skip. We need you. Rest, aspirin, anti-inflammatories, heat, ice, exercise, rest, elevation, depression ... and above all else, GET THAT CORTISONE SHOT!!!

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said...

Alumni news, coaching division: Pat Listach was sacked as Cubs third base coach.

Oh, it was his fault, eh, Theo?

NatsNut said...

Adam LaRoche quote from Kilgore: "I thought he was just taking a nap." LOLOL

Post a Comment