Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Morse out with left hand injury

US Presswire photo
Michael Morse has just two extra-base hits over his last 14 games.
NEW YORK -- Though he missed some time over the last month while dealing with problems with his right hand, Michael Morse all the while has been dealing with an injury to his left hand as well. And after Tuesday night's win over the Mets, the Nationals left fielder finally acknowledged the situation had become bad enough to warrant a doctor's visit.

"I'm not helping the team when I'm not 100 percent," Morse said. "I'm not helping myself, either. I'm going to get it looked at the next couple days, get down to the bottom of it and try to get back to 100 percent. I'm not 100 percent."

Morse admitted his left hand has been bothering him for about a month now, the genesis of this injury his compensation for a sore right thumb that forced him to take a one-handed swing in San Francisco.

"This has been for like a month now," he said. "I think when I hurt my hand, my thumb, one swing I kind of let go of the bat and I just swung one-handed and I kind of messed my left wrist up a little bit."

Morse played through the pain, and did miss several days later in August after getting hit in the right hand with a pitch in Philadelphia, but after an 0-for-5 performance Tuesday night decided it was time to speak up.

He said he'll be examined by a doctor on Wednesday, getting an X-ray and MRI on the hand. Manager Davey Johnson said his No. 5 hitter will miss at least a couple of days.

"I'm not worried," Morse said. "It's always good to just know, precautionary. Just get something going from here. I'm just, I'm sick of hurting the team."

Morse is actually hitting .298 over his last 14 games, but he's recorded only two extra-base hits during that time, perhaps a reflection of his inability to hit for power while nursing an injured hand.

Johnson has several options to replace Morse in left field: Roger Bernadina, Tyler Moore or Steve Lombardozzi.

19 comments:

peric said...

Bernadina seems like the best overall choice at this juncture ... as long as Werth stays at lead-off. As soon as you move him anywhere else he becomes a liability offensively.

Section 222 said...

TMo will get starts against lefties, Bernadina against righties with Lombo maybe getting a start against righties here and there. Not a bad idea to give them all some work if he can. They are all key parts of the bench for the playoff.

Don't count on Werth staying at leadoff, particularly if Lombo plays. Give it up peric -- a guy with a .846 OPS this year (.940 in August) is not an offensive liability. He just isn't. With Morse out, Davey might very well bat him fifth (or 6th behind Desi). Prepare yourself for it so you won't get too upset.

Gonat said...

I agree with you Sect222 as that makes sense. Maybe Corey Brown sees a start.

peric said...

Don't count on Werth staying at leadoff, particularly if Lombo plays. Give it up peric -- a guy with a .846 OPS this year (.940 in August) is not an offensive liability. He just isn't. With Morse out, Davey might very well bat him fifth (or 6th behind Desi). Prepare yourself for it so you won't get too upset.

No, 222 you should look at the splits before you say that. They are pretty clear.

peric said...

I agree with you Sect222 as that makes sense. Maybe Corey Brown sees a start.

Only for Harper or Werth if they need a blow or are injured.

Gonat said...

Wow! Sounds like Peric is a Werth believer. Better late than never.

Gonat said...

And with #Dodgers 1-0 loss in Arizona, #Nats magic number to clinch a playoff spot is now 7
_______________________________

Which day will the Nats uncork the champagne? I am going to say Wednesday night since the Nats have 2 days off in the next 7.

Section 222 said...

I did look at his splits peric. You need to look at them without your Werth-hating glasses on. Your bias is ruining your objectivity. Davey won't hesitate to move him from the No. 1 spot, maybe as early as tomorrow, so be prepared.

Ghost Of Steve M. said...

I think you do pop champagne when you clinch a playoff berth but I also think it's up to each team.

natsfan1a said...

Just my opinion, but I say when you clinch your first playoff berth you celebrate. That's not to say a team can't celebrate twice (or even more times). ;-)

natsfan1a said...

And I had a feeling about his hand (wait - does that mean I'm on the handwagon? :-))

Joe Seamhead said...

Save the bubbly until we win the World Series!
GYFNG!!!
As to Michael Morse, he hasn't been himself up there since he got hit in the hand. He hasn't even seemed like he was having as much fun. It's good for a few reasons for him to sit for a few games.Give him time to heal, give Bernadina and Moore some PT and AB's.
Werth wasn't batting leadoff before the wrist injury and he was looking pretty good at the plate, though I see him as the primary leadoff guy for most of the rest of this season.Jayson has been a different player this year because he is just flat out more comfortable in his own skin because, unlike last year, he realizes that he doesn't have to try to carry this team on his back. Last year the contract put a huge internal pressure on him. He tried too hard to do too much. I think that when he got hurt, and saw how well the team played while he was out, he became a much more relaxed player. I personally think that he would hit fine anywhere in the order, other then cleanup.I also don't see him as being one our top three outfielders,defensively, but the intangibles that he brings that can't always be measured in statistics more then make up for his shortcomings.

natsfan1a said...

Hasn't Werth also had more, er, productive bats behind him in the lineup this season? That could be more relaxing as well.

Joe Seamhead said...

Most certainly, natsfan1a, having Harper behind him, along with the entire rest of the order, is helping Jayson. This team has become pretty darn potent 1 through 8, though they are still stranding too many runners in scoring position. They were really tempting fate with that last night.

natsfan1a said...

I hear you on RISP, Joe.

A DC Wonk said...

Frankly, I like Werth at leadoff because the Nats have been scoring in the first inning so often.

It's pretty demoralizing for a team when they're facing the best team in baseball, and they are already behind before they've even come to bat. (Conversely, it's relaxing for a pitcher to pitch the first inning when you already have a lead).

natsfan1a said...

I like both Larry Leadoff and Tommy Two-Spot. :-)

sm13 said...

A round pf cortisone for my friend tje Beast.

I really lile Werth anf Bryce batting 1, 2. They seem to ignite the whole lineup. Bat Roger or Moore or Lombo 7th or 8th and don't mess with success.

Anonymous said...

Put Moore in for Morse and Morse will be helping the team a lot!

Post a Comment