Monday, September 24, 2012

Davey: Morse, Garcia injured

Photo by US-Presswire
In Davey Johnson’s media session before Monday’s game, the Nationals manager revealed two injuries that sound relatively minor at this point. 

Outfielder Michael Morse was absent from the lineup card and Johnson confirmed it is another issue with his hand. Davey said he didn’t know which hand and really had no specific information.

“I’m not really 100% sure. I know he came into the training room after the game he was having trouble with his hand. I think he was looking forward to getting a shot or something so I’m just going to stay off of him.”

Johnson said he will know more once Morse visits with a team doctor.

The other injury news deals with relief pitcher Christian Garcia who is now dealing with bicep soreness. Davey said the right-hander felt fatigue in his arm after an appearance in the ninth inning of Saturday’s game against Milwaukee. Garcia allowed a two-run homer to Taylor Green and afterwards may have tried too hard to respond, at least in Johnson’s opinion.

“I think he was just out there on cruise control until that home run. Then he turned it up probably a little higher and it probably fatigued him.”

Johnson added after discussing the injury his plans to convert Garcia into a starter over the offseason. He said nothing will change until the spring where the team may work Garcia to get him ready to begin next season as a starter. It is a decision based on his stuff, but also his injury history of two Tommy John procedures.

“I think he could be able to start. You can get a better base in the arm and he has three pitches like a starter would have. He’s got a changeup, curveball, good hard fastball. He would be a candidate for me to start next year,” Johnson said.

Rotation moving forward:

Johnson said he will go with Ross Detwiler, John Lannan, and Gio Gonzalez against the Phillies this week to match them with lefties. He said he wants to go with three right-handers vs. St. Louis in the following series which means likely using Chien-Ming Wang for one more start as part of a six man rotation.

On clinching the division:

Johnson said he hasn’t really thought about the playoffs and the new format and subsequent schedule. He did say, however, that if the team locks up the division soon he will rest his starters down the stretch. On criticism of maybe helping out the Cardinals who are in the pennant race?

“I really don’t give a rat’s ass what somebody things about my club and who I put on the field to either help somebody else or I’m not supposed to rest my regulars after we clinch it, I’m resting my regulars. End of conversation.” he said.

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke on Jayson Werth as a leadoff hitter:


“You look at their lineup, you look at what Werth is doing. I know he’s a scary hitter because he can drive the ball, but he’s got like a .395 on-base percentage. If you go through the league and look at lead-off men, there aren’t that many guys that can do that. He’s doing that and driving the ball with power. That’s really good.”

12 comments:

Theophilus T. S. said...

I posted this at the end of the last thread and will repost it here just to see if anybody's juices get angried up.

Sorry to disagree w/ Peric (and it's sometimes dangerous) but I think there's a dearth of starters, not relievers. No Jackson next year, most of you think Lannan is gone, and no one behind them -- with the possible exception of Perry -- to ascend to the No. 5 role. If in fact they want to make Garcia a starter, my guess is he would start the season in Syracuse or H'burg, get acclimated to the job, and come up as a mid-season/injury replacement. Garcia in my mind has more potential than Perry. Two TJs is not a disqualifier. Capuano has had two, and doesn't have nearly as live an arm as Garcia. Jose Rijo, I heard, had five. Maybe what Garcia needs to do is cut down on the number of sliders. If he didn't take to starting, they could always move him back to the pen.

I'm not saying I endorse this idea but it shouldn't be ruled out.

Because I think each of us, right now, could name at least eight guys (including Garcia and five other right-handers -- unfortunately, H. Rodriguez is one) who have earned or are guaranteed spots in next year's BP.

Faraz Shaikh said...

right attitude Davey. Screw everyone else, we are playing to win it all.

NatsLady said...

Good for Davey! I recall he got on Jayson's case for not stealing when the Nats were ahead, and eventually the tying run came to the plate (though nothing bad happened in that particular game). No so-called "unwritten rules" for Davey.

Vegas has the Nats, Reds and Yanks at 6-1 to win the WS. Only the Rangers are better at 9-2. Inside my new PLAYOFFS cap I found a gold sticker that says World Series 2012. Make it so!

Section 222 said...

I heartily endorse the idea of trying out Garcia as a starter, just as they are trying out Perry. Any pitcher who has the repertoire of pitches, the endurance, and the mentality to be a successful starter should do it. Good starters are simply more valuable to the team. I hope Garcia's bicep soreness is temporary. He could be a real weapon in the playoffs.

I'm surprised that Davey would prefer Wang (plus the bullpen) to one of our lefties against the Cards. But if he does it, I'll be the first to admit that my prediction of upcoming rotation last night was wrong.

LOVE Davey's dismissal of the unwritten rule on end of season conduct. We're in it to win it! Davey's had his eye on that prize since the preseason, long before any of us had any idea what would be possible.

I'm surprised the fight for first seed (and possibly best record in baseball) isn't getting more attention. It's a big deal for the playoffs this year. 1st seed gets the depleted winner of the WC game, 2nd seed likely gets to travel to SF for the first two games. I want that "z".

SonnyG10 said...

I say Amen to Davey. That's another reason I like the guy. I do not like the so called gentlemen's rules where you try not to embarass the other team. For me, that applies both ways, whether we are ahead or behind.

natsfan1a said...

I trust Davey (and Rizzo) to make the right decisions about who plays, who becomes a starter, and whatever else strikes their fancy. I also like that Davey doesn't give a rat's patootie what anybody else thinks. :-)

SCNatsFan said...

Theo, I agree but something is happening here that is something we've never seen - no, not the playoffs, it's that DC is actually becoming a place players will want to go to. All of a sudden we won't have to overpay FAs to come here and some, with the talent already here, might even come at a discount. I trust Rizzo can find anoother quality starter for us should we need one.

Tcostant said...

Davey say it ain't so, that you "hasn’t really thought about the playoffs and the new format and subsequent schedule."

I hope this isn't possible, this stuff needs to be thought avout...

Theophilus T. S. said...

SCNF -- It's difficult to imagine but I can see the Nats entering an era of fiscal conservatism. Not too far down the road, they will be looking at big (or at least bigger) money contracts as a number of players, including Desmond, Espinosa, Zimmermann, Detwiler and Strasburg, become arbitration-eligible and will either get big paydays or extensions. Those guys, alone, could add $40MM or more to the payroll. So there will be fewer expensive and/or long term deals, if any. Rizzo will never again offer a Beurhle a three-year deal, and I doubt he'll ever pay $11MM for a one-year #5 starter.

So FAs interested in being in DC may well have to accept less than the market price.

With the exception of Werth, and the (relatively) inexpensive LaRoche contract, the Nats are built from the farm system and trades. This is the time to double-down on less-expensive home-grown talent and sign the core of the team to cost-justifiable deals that secure the next several years.

SCNatsFan said...

I agree Theo, but Rizzo is going to have to pick his window and spend around it; I am guessing the window is the next 1-3 years. I don't see us becoming the Yanks or the Sox but can see us being a big spender for a couple of years.

Tcostant said...

A laugher - thanks you. Back in May when it seemed that Zimmerman would ground into a double play ever time he was up with a man on base and less than two out, I never thought he would appoach 100 RBI's this year - well he is so close and he miss a bunch of time too. Wow. FoF

UnkyD said...

"UnkyD said...
Why would Wang be up for the Cards?
September 23, 2012 9:03 PM"
-----------------------
As usual, tipping my hat to Peric's crystal ball.... ;-)

Post a Comment