Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Game postponed, doubleheader tomorrow

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nationals Park was soaked by heavy rains this afternoon.
Updated at 6:30 p.m.

Tonight's series opener between the Nationals and Dodgers has been postponed due to the heavy storms sweeping through the area this afternoon and evening.

The two teams will play a single-admission doubleheader Wednesday, beginning at 4:05 p.m., with the nightcap starting at 7:05 p.m. or 30 minutes after completion of the first game, whichever is later.

Fans holding tickets for Wednesday's originally scheduled 7:05 p.m. can use those tickets for admissions to both games of the doubleheader. Fans holding tickets for tonight's rained out game must exchange them at the Nationals Park box office for seats of equal or lesser value to the doubleheader or any future 2012 home game (excluding Saturday's 1:05 p.m. against the Brewers or any potential playoff tiebreaker home game).

Tonight's postponement won't have much of an immediate effect on the Nationals' rotation; manager Davey Johnson said Jordan Zimmermann (who was supposed to start tonight) will now pitch the doubleheader opener, with John Lannan starting the nightcap as originally scheduled.

The Nationals will, however, need someone to make a spot start on Sunday against Milwaukee, because Johnson does not want to have to bring either Zimmermann or Lannan back on short rest.

"I just don't want any of my good, young pitchers to [pitch] on short rest at this point," the manager said. "I don't think Zim has done it, and he's had a little bit of that inflammation there [in his right shoulder]. I think he could do it, and have no problem, but it's not something I'd like to do to any of those in the rotation, at this point."

Johnson named several potential candidates to make that spot start, including September call-up Zach Duke, the recently activated Chien-Ming Wang and long reliever Craig Stammen. He sounded as though he's leaning toward using a right-hander against the Brewers, whose lineup is heavy with right-handed hitters.

"I haven't done my research on that match-up, but knowing what I know about Milwaukee, it could be I start somebody out of my 'pen," Johnson said. "I'll want a right-hander. Craig Stammen, he could be a candidate. Chien-Ming. I won't start anybody on three days' rest. So I will definitely go to the 'pen."

There is, of course, a healthy right-handed starter still on the Nationals' active roster named Stephen Strasburg.

"I'm sure Stras would volunteer," Johnson said with a laugh. "He is right-handed. He has been chomping."

Don't count on a surprise like that.

42 comments:

Doc said...

Good!

That gives Espi the day he needs to tirate his cortisone shot. An extra day of recovery for The Beast, too!!!!!

I think that da' Nats is' back in business!!!

Keep it rollin' guys!!



John C. said...

Hmmm I have tickets to both games. Since tomorrow clearly will be a single admission DH (BONUS BASEBALL!) I wonder what I can/should do with my extra tickets.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Offer them to someone. keep tomorrows and them trade today's in.

had it been earlier in the season I would say turn them in.

The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. said...

This late in the season they will allow you to trade in tickets for one of those DH games for a game next year. Or credit your account if you're an STH.

Steady Eddie said...

John C. -- I seem to recall last year they let people exchange tickets for the Dodgers game that wasn't played for games this (the next) season, recognizing that there were so few games left that many wouldn't be able to exchange for a game this year.

That may be my situation -- tix for tonight's, can't go to tomorrow's, have tix for Thursday, can't go any game vs Brewers, have tix for the one game I can go to against Phils....

Tomorrow's DH has to be for tickets for tomorrow night's game.

MicheleS said...

I am going to trade it in for Monday's day game!!!!

Steady Eddie said...

TWO DAYS without Nats baseball! Yuk.

feelanau said...

What does this mean for people with tickets and parking pass for tonight, since make-up is single admission double-header tomorrow??

MicheleS said...

Here is some info:

Washington Nationals‏@Nationals

All tix for tonight must be exchanged at Box Office for tomorrow's DH or any remaining '12 home game, exc. 9/22 or postseason tiebreaker

MicheleS said...

For you viewing pleasure: Don't forget to Watch E60 on ESPN at 7 PM.. They are doing a segment on Teddy.

Anonymous said...

They could've played tonight if they absolutely had to--if it was Thursday instead of Tuesday, or if there was any chance of problems in the next two days. But there's no reason to from the Nats viewpoint and a lot of reasons not to (though I'll bet the Dodgers are at least a little ticked off). Only drawback is it gives the Braves a chance to pull within 4 1/2 games by winning tonight (though remaining six out In the loss column).

Steady Eddie said...

MicheleS -- yeah, saw that too just now. Kind of stinks with less than a dozen home games left and most people having made plans for the days in question.

Steve J, Alexandria said...

One thing we know for sure: Espinosa cannot strike out today.

Phew!! Thank you, rain!

Steve J, Alexandria said...

Got some great tickets from a friend for Thursday!!!!

First base side, just beyong dugout -- Row 2

I'm bringing my glove -- for protection!!!

Steve J, Alexandria said...

No Steady Eddie: It will be 5 days without baseball!!

Lord knows what that series against the Braves could be called.

Pilchard said...

Would be hilarious if Davey started SS against the Brewers on Sunday.

SCNatsFan said...

Whatever will I do tonight now. Already had popcorn for the game on TV.

Section 222 said...

Several years ago (maybe 2007), there was a rainout in September and they explicitly allowed you to exchange the tickets for any game the next year. In 2008, when the last game of the season was rained out, they issued credits to the accounts of STHs. With one homestand left, it's obnoxious to make people use up rainchecks so quickly, but this is exactly what they did last year when that September Dodgers game got rained out (although that was Sept. 6 or 7, not Sept. 18.) STHs are particularly hurt by this because we already have tickets to the remaining games (and probably a bunch of extra Red Carpet seats as well.).

Luckily, when I complained about this to my ticket rep last year, he said he'd take care of me this year -- and he did. So I plan to do the same this time around and hope for the best.

Steady Eddie said...

Eovaldi (who?) gets the Barves put on 9 pitches in the first, nothing hit put of the infield and a Bourn K.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Espi will be great after his shot.

Braves 3 up 3 down in top of first.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Marlins 3 up 3 down.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Chipper singles. 0-0 bottom of second.

Scooter said...

I realize this rainout is annoying for some. I've been there. Sorry.

But, YAHOOOOOOO! My first doubleheader!

NatsLady said...

Dodgers are fine with the rainout. They want to rest Kemp.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

3Rd inning Buck triple Gorkys Hernandez knocked him in.3-0 after 3

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

1-0 Going to bottom of 6th

Steady Eddie said...

While I'm disappointed by the rainout, especially as it hasn't rained at the Park all game time, I expect both teams preferred to keep their players off the wet grass and not risk injuries.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

John buck 2 run homer 3-0 bottom of 8

MurrayTheRed said...

Way to go buck. I will not make jokes about your name the rest of this year!

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Arggg Braves start 9th with double then walk. Marlins bullpen is going to choke it appears.

starter great and they decide to take him out of 8.

Managers always over manage.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Cishek was worthless. nibbled terribly. 1 run in men first and third 1 out.

Had Uggla 1-2 then nibbled then laid one right down the middle with no movement.

I would hate to have to maloox because Ozzie pulled a dominating starter.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Damn Marlin bullpen gives the lead away.

Ozzie is worthless takes a dominating pitcher and brings in crap

Secret wasian man said...

Reyes on 3rd nobody out and the stinky fish cant put any wood on the ball. Awful. Thanks for nothing OZZIE

Secret wasian man said...

cant seem to move any numbers off the damn magic number count.

Secret wasian man said...

Heath bell in for Fish. Lead will be down to 4.5

Secret wasian man said...

Jose Reyes singles in winning run. Magic number 10.

Secret wasian man said...

Make that 9. Let's get 2 tommor.

natsfan1a said...

Glad that the Fish got it done in the end. Was watching the baseline on MLB Network and couldn't believe the Barves tied it up in the 9th. At the time, I wondered whether it was Bell in the 9th, but it sounds like he saved the day instead. Heh.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

I have Mlb extra innings (my Christmas present to myself ever season) watch at least 2 games often flipping between 5

Joe Seamhead said...

Well, my wife had said,"No way, for tonight," so my son and I headed down to the stadium. We were just getting ready to get on the beltway at Cabin John when the postponement was announced. Whew! Anyway, Mrs. Seamhead and I will make a day of it today. We'll go down early to the box office, exchange tix from yesterday, go somewhere for lunch, and come back and make ourselves comfortable, and watch the Nats take two!
GYFNG!!!

ExposedinDC said...

Driving 5 hours to see nats on Sunday, if I get CMW... I may hurl.

natsfan1a said...

I have Saturday and Sunday. I guess we'll just have to wait and see who (and what) we get. :-)

Post a Comment