Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Morse gets shot for hand

PHILADELPHIA -- Though he's back in the Nationals lineup for tonight's series opener at Citizens Bank Park, Nationals left fielder Michael Morse continues to be plagued by a lingering hand injury, one that required a shot to reduce inflammation.

Morse received the shot Monday in Washington; he didn't start that afternoon against the Brewers, though he insisted he felt well enough to play.

"They gave him a full dose of everything to try to get him well," manager Davey Johnson said, adding: "It was for inflammation but sometimes they give you one that gets in your system and goes all over."

Asked for his level of confidence in Morse's hand, Johnson didn't sound optimistic.

"I'm not real confident in it," the manager said. "But the doctors tell me he can't really hurt it worse and he wants to play and I want him in there, so we'll see how it goes."

Barring any significant setback, Morse figures to remain in the Nationals' lineup every night until they clinch the NL East. That applies to the rest of the lineup as well, not to mention the Nationals' top relievers, who could be used as many consecutive nights as necessary.

"We win five games, and then I'll rest some guys," Johnson said.

11 comments:

peric said...

Oh man ... another injury riddled year for Morse ... I would guess its probably why Jack Zduriencik decided to trade him after he lost a full season to a shoulder injury running into a wall in the outfield.

Last year and the year before were probably two of his least injury plagued years.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

My right elbow needs a sot. I think we need Cortosone shot night next Monday for the first 15.000 enter the center field entrance.

Nattering Nat said...

Touche, MNF (which should not be confused with Monday Night Football).

NatsNut said...

Love the headline. I mean, man, I know it's hard playing without him, but they didn't have to shoot the guy.

RickH said...

At least he didn't get shot "in" the hand.

Holden Baroque said...

Touche, MNF

This is for a joke I missed, isn't it? I don't get it.

JaneB said...

Hilarious, Manassas! I'd make sure I got to the stadium good and early!

JaneB said...

Sun Monster Sofa, it;s about cortisone shot giveaways at the gate, like teeshirts.

I like your new sofa, by the way.

Holden Baroque said...

No, I got Manassas Nats Fan's joke (good one, btw), but I didn't understand what the "Touché" was for.

Anonymous said...

I think we should definitely cut bait on Morse this summer. Terrible approach at the plate. Can't stay healthy. Occasionally runs into one but his D is awful and he's always hurt. Id rather sign Laroche and a CF who can play D and we would probably have one of the best defensive teams in the league. Tyler Moore has more potential than Morse for a fraction of the cost. We could fetch some relievers and a prospect for Morse from an AL team.

Manassas Nats' Fan said...

Morse didn't read the fine print. With the shot you guarentee to be the hitting star. Came up with 2 on and was position to be the star. What does he do? Wimpy hit to 3rd. Come on Man that is not what you do after a shot.

Post a Comment