Monday, June 27, 2011

"Comfortable" Johnson returns to dugout



ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Davey Johnson walked into Angel Stadium at 11 a.m. this morning. First pitch between the Nationals and Angels was still eight hours away. But where else would he rather be?

"I've done it a lot my whole life," the Nationals' new manager said. "The ballpark is your home. ... I feel very comfortable here."

That feeling of comfort is what led Johnson back to the dugout, back to the manager's office and back to Major League Baseball after an 11-year hiatus. Asked by general manager Mike Rizzo to take over for the rest of this season (and perhaps beyond) following Jim Riggleman's surprise resignation, the 68-year-old didn't have to think twice.

"It was not a tough decision for me, to step in," he said. "It's really exciting to even have a chance to compete."

Johnson has 14 years of big-league managerial experience on his resume. He's won a World Series. He's been named his league's manager of the year. He's skippered international competitions in
Read more

7 comments:

Joe Seamhead said...

It feels like opening day in June!

Sec3MySofa said...

So I guess this is Daveymas? DeeJay Day?

natsfan1a said...

Meh, I'm just gonna call it game 78 day. I'm very happy he's here and all. I'm just a curmudgeon about the whole "-mas" meme thing.

Anonymous said...

Who cares about a new manager. We lost. Daveys first move should be giving Werthless a couple days off. 0-5 with 3 Ks. This guy is a joke.

natsfan1a said...

Um, game 79. Math was never my strong suit. Heh.

natsfan1a said...

I will say that DeeJay Day was clever, though. ;-)

JaneB said...

I liked DeeJay Day too.

Post a Comment