Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lannan has it figured out

DETROIT -- John Lannan thinks he knows why he's been struggling his last few times on the mound: He's overcompensating in an attempt not to suffer a recurrence of the elbow pain that hampered him last month.

Lannan, who was roughed up by the Tigers last night for seven runs and 10 hits in only 4 1/3 innings, said afterward he wasn't able to get his sinker (his bread-and-butter pitch) to sink. He insisted his arm felt fine and wasn't at all bothering him like it did earlier this season, but he couldn't find a mechanical flaw either.

After watching some video with pitching coach Steve McCatty today, though, the left-hander thinks he's figured it out. He believes he's not bending his elbow as much as he should while releasing the ball, subconsciously afraid he might re-injure himself. Instead, his left arm remains straight as he pitches, not allowing him to "turn over" the ball and make it sink the way he always has.

"I don't know why I started doing it, or when I started doing it," he said. "But I think I'm overcompensating for the elbow."

Lannan believes the fix should be simple, though it's going to be more mental than physical.

"I just have to get myself not to think about it and just throw the ball with my natural motion," he said.

Lannan, the Nats' Opening Day starter the last two seasons, is 2-4 with a 5.45 ERA in 13 outings so far. He's next scheduled to pitch Sunday against the White Sox.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! But will Riggleman figure out how to write a lineup with a DH in it before interleague play is over with for this year?

Slidell said...

Regarding John's sudden enlightenment--- we'll just have to wait and see what happens Sunday. While I hope that he has indeed figured it out, I'm not placing any bets.

Anonymous said...

We should know in five days. Would be nice if Pudge could DH on Thursday. I assume Nieves is catching the day game after a night game. Here's to Justin Verlander leaving a fast ball up for Dunn to deposit in the stands. Go Nats!

Ernie said...

A quick look through the archives shows that Brian Bruney had it "figured out" a few times this year as well. The only thing I've figured out lately is that I really have to turn the channel when Lannan is on the mound. I felt a great sense of relief when I switched back yesterday to see Walker on the mound. I never thought Walker would make me feel BETTER about a Nats game...

Anonymous said...

Ok so you have figured out your problem, that is great so you will be lights outs for 7 innings your next start, great, if not your major league career should end by the All-Star break...good luck, no pressure!

natsfan1a said...

Hope that Lannan's insights will help in his next start (particularly as I will be in the house for it ;-)). I'll be rooting for him (and the rest of the team, of course), as usual.

Post a Comment