|Photo by the Associated Press|
Entering the 2013 season, however, there are a few notable numbers within reach of players on the Nationals. The month of April alone could feature an interesting list of milestones by Washington players.
Here are some numbers Nats players will likely reach in the month of April:
* Ryan Zimmerman plays his 1000th game – Zimmerman is ten games away from the mark after eight major league seasons, two shortened by injury.
* Adam LaRoche hits homer No. 200 – LaRoche is three away from 200 and, if he carries over last season, should have a good start towards 300 after 2013.
* Jayson Werth hits homer No. 150, RBI No. 500 – Werth is five away from each mark and shouldn’t take long to hit them. Five homers in April would be a great month, but it’s doable.
* Zimmerman hits 600 RBI, 600 runs, 400 walks – Zimm will likely also reach 600 RBI (593 currently) and 400 walks (395 currently) before the month is over. He could get to 600 runs (580 currently) as well.
* Dan Haren plays game No. 300 – The ten-year veteran is four games away from hitting 300 and will likely pitch his 2000th inning (1876.2 IP currently) at some point later in the season as well.
* Jordan Zimmermann pitches 500th inning – Zimmermann is starting his fifth season in the majors and is just 20.2 innings away from No. 500.
* Stephen Strasburg pitches game number 50 – Entering his fourth season, Strasburg has just 45 games under his belt.
* Davey Johnson gets loss No. 1000 – Yes, the Nationals are probably going to win a lot more than they lose this season. But Davey is just five losses away from 1000. Safe bet is on him getting that in April.
* Davey gets win No. 1300 – He is also just 14 wins away from 1300 in his managerial career. Which will he get first, 1300 wins or 1000 losses?
* Davey coaches No. 250 with the Nationals – Johnson is at 245 right now and should get this one pretty quickly. The most interesting part, however, is that if Davey coaches this whole season with Washington (as expected) he will have coached the Nats longer than he did the Reds, Orioles, and Dodgers. Only the Mets did he coach longer with a stint of 1012 games.
* Davey begins MLB season No. 30 – April 1 will mark the 30th major league season for Davey Johnson, combining his 13 as a player and 16 before this year as a manager.