Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Nothing could be finer

...than blogging from a rest stop in Dunn, N.C., just a hop, skip and a jump away from Spiveys Corner. Wonder if Junior is around to say hello and let me know if his broken hand has healed yet.

I'm happy to report that it's been smooth sailing since Richmond, nary a traffic jam or construction zone. The infamous "South of the Border" billboards beckon every 10 miles or so, and I'm still 75 miles from the home of pointless chotchkies and fireworks. Probably won't be stopping there because I need to make up for lost time this morning.

Been listening to Lewis Black performing at Carnegie Hall. It's a few years old but still cracks me up. Talking about how then-President Bush had "handlers," Black responds: "The president needs handlers? What is he, a bear?"

Oh, some actual Nats news to pass on: They've signed Ron Villone to a minor-league contract. Villone, who I believe wil turn 40 sometime this year, had his moments last season out of the bullpen. I have a hard time seeing him make this year's squad, but selfishly I'd love to see him make it. One of the more-quotable, more-refreshing ballplayers I've dealt with.

OK, back to the road. Hope to talk to you next from South Carolina.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it out of Virginia!

Villone is a good signing, I think he will not make the club out of spring training either, but if he wants to put in a few months at Syracuse, I am sure someone will wither blowup or get hurt in the pen, why not have a grizzled veteran there as a back up!

RQB said...

How are you scooping the Post AND road-tripping at the same time?

An Briosca Mor said...

Adam Dunn, NC?

An Briosca Mor said...

Oh, and they need to re-sign Joe Beimel too, if for no other reason than to get back his Johnny Cash intro song.

SonnyG10 said...

Mark,

Glad you're on your way and really looking forward to your on-site reporting.

(j)on said...

Selfish as a journalist, certainly not as a fan, haha.

Anonymous said...

Mark, keep us posted (especially about any construction delays around Jacksonville). I'll join you in a couple of weeks.

Post a Comment