Friday, August 16, 2013

Werth: "I love playing" for Manuel

USA Today Sports Images
ATLANTA — Jayson Werth openly admits he is the player he is today in large because of Charlie Manuel. So when asked today whether he'd like for the suddenly available Manuel to manage the Nationals next season, the veteran right fielder didn't hide his feelings.

"Oh, of course," Werth said this afternoon. "I don't know if he fits into the organization's plan or whatever. But I mean, I love playing for the guy."

Fired by the Phillies today after a 4-19 stretch since the All-Star break, Manuel now finds himself out of work after 12 years managing in Cleveland and Philadelphia, posting a 1,000-826 record, winning six division titles and a World Series. The 69-year-old said he would need some time to contemplate his future, but his name could surface as a candidate to replace Davey Johnson in 2014.

Werth said he spoke to Manuel earlier this season and asked his former skipper about his future plans.

"He guaranteed me he would be managing somewhere next year," Werth said. "This was probably ... I think I was on the DL in May when I talked to him. We'll see. Time changes things. But at the time when I talked to him then, he was adamant he wanted to manage."
Read more

5 comments:

Joe Seamhead said...

If it were to happen I would support Cholly, but my first reaction is, "thanks, but no thanks."

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said...

Just say no to Jolly Cholly.

Bring Back Bo!

Joe Seamhead said...

No Bo, Sunshine. Bo knows, or should I say Bo knew that there was little chance that he was seriously next in line.

Secret wasian man said...

I luv Mark and this site. But I could care less about Manuel and the PHILTHIES. If the Nats bring this tired, nasty old man in here Im done. And please don't quote me the stats. Anybody could win with that lineup. except Manny Acta

Eugene in Oregon said...

I rarely saw eye to eye with Nancy Reagan, but in this case 'Just say no' applies nicely.

Post a Comment