Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Zim on Dunn, Werth, Harper

VIERA, Fla. -- Ryan Zimmerman lobbied the Nationals hard, for nearly a year, to re-sign Adam Dunn. And when the Nats allowed Dunn to walk away and sign a four-year deal with the White Sox, the "Face of the Franchise" was outspoken in his disappointment.

Zimmerman, though, insists his disappointment wasn't over the Nationals' roster decision. It was over the departure of a close friend.

And now that the dust has settled and a revamped Washington club has begun reporting for spring training, its best overall player believes significant progress has been made.

"I was not by any means saying anything about the club or the organization," Zimmerman said today. "I think a lot of people thought I was. I had talked to [general manager] Mike [Rizzo] quite a bit. I knew that they had a plan. Obviously, they've done it for the last couple years to get this team in place. I was just expressing more frustrations of losing a teammate and a friend than anything. I think a lot of people took it as I was taking a stab at them or talking bad about them, which was completely the opposite."

For more thoughts from Zimmerman on Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper, please read my full story on CSNwashington.com.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark. When you asked for ideas for stories this Spring training, this was my top choice.....hearing from Zim about letting Dunn and Willingham depart. It is crucial that Zim is on board with the direction of the club.

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said...

Very diplomatic of Zimm. When he gets done with baseball, have him stop by the State Department.

SonnyG10 said...

Great to hear Zim talking like that.

Anonymous said...

He sounds great, like a club leader. Let us hope we start winning (so that winning seasons) this season so Ryan can sign a long term contract with us.

Positively Half St. said...

The "full story at CSN" is a good idea. You have to get us used to looking there first, because they are putting the food on your table.

GROSS said...

Zim looked nervous in the video. Guess it was better he picked both ears then his nose.

Adam D said...

Zimm said he loved only me. Now he loves Jayson as much as me. Oh woe.

gross said...

*than* his nose

Post a Comment