Associated Press photo
Wilson Ramos began working out with the Aragua Tigres today.
Ramos worked out with the Aragua Tigres, his first appearance on the field this offseason and first since he was abducted in his native country last week. The 24-year-old catcher, who was rescued by authorities during a late-night raid Friday, has said he wanted to begin playing as soon as possible and has informed Venezuelan media members he doesn't want to talk about his kidnapping anymore.
Ramos initially said he would begin playing for Aragua tomorrow, but his game debut has now been pushed back to next week.
The Nationals will allow Ramos to stay in Venezuela, though the catcher will be receiving increased security. He has been planning all along to move his family to a new, larger house in a nicer location.
General manager Mike Rizzo today told ESPN-980 AM the club intends to fly Ramos into Washington at some point soon to undergo an exam by team doctors and meet with counselors to ensure he is physically and mentally prepared to play again.
Meanwhile, Venezuelan police said two more suspects have been arrested in connection with Ramos' abduction, according to the Associated Press. The men (a Colombian and a Venezuelan) were detained Sunday in a car with several other people in the town of Moron, not far from where Ramos was held captive for approximately 51 hours.
With these latest arrest, eight total suspects are now in custody. Police continue to search for several others who escaped during Friday night's rescue operation.