Monday, March 29, 2010

Strasburg debut April 11 at Altoona

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Each of Stephen Strasburg's Class AA starts is sure to draw attention.
VIERA, Fla. -- Stephen Strasburg's much-ballyhooed minor-league debut for Class AA Harrisburg will take place April 11 at Altoona, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said this afternoon.

The top pitching prospect will actually have his schedule pushed back three days; he had been on track to start Harrisburg's season opener (April 8 at Altoona). By moving Strasburg to the 11th, the organization ensures the right-hander will make more starts at home for the Senators while also lining him up on the same day as its No. 5 starter in the majors.

If he pitches every fifth day, here's how Strasburg's first month with Harrisburg would shake out...

April 11 at Altoona
April 16 vs New Britain
April 21 vs Reading
April 26 at Reading
May 1 vs Altoona

(If you really want to get into the projecting game, Strasburg's major-league debut could come Saturday, June 5 against the Reds at Nationals Park. But the chance of him actually staying on a perfect, five-day schedule over the next two-plus months is remote, so don't go buying your tickets quite yet.)

17 comments:

peric said...

Have to wonder if he will even make it to Syracuse first? In Harrisburg he gets sufficient competition and, along with the other prospects, its close enough for the high level Nats types to personally keep tabs on their progress.

REW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan said...

Just got my tickets! Just left of home plate, five rows up. $10 a ticket. Not bad. PUMPED!

Brian said...

I guess we can hope for one rain out after 4/11 so his second start gets pushed to Saturday 4/17 ... easier to get to Harrisburg on Saturday than Friday night

Anonymous said...

Not a bad drive to Altoona I used to drive up near there from Arlington, all highway.

Grandstander said...

I don't drive but my girlfriend has a car. How early would we have to take off on Friday to avoid the worst of rush hour going up 270? Would it better taking 95 up through Baltimore?

Mark Zuckerman said...

Uh, Grandstander, Strasburg is pitching on April 11. That's a Sunday, not a Friday.

Joe said...

I live near Syracuse and I really want to see him pitch. Do you think he will come to Syracuse before he goes to DC????

Mark Zuckerman said...

Joe: I think he probably will pitch at Syracuse, probably sometime in May. But Strasburg's timeline will depend on how he performs. If he dominates Class AA as expected, he'll get a chance to continue it at Class AAA. Then, if he dominates there, he'll be in D.C. before you know it.

Mrs. Zuckerman said...

For those interested in driving to Altoona next Sunday: it's about three hours (I always went 495-270-70-76-220; North or West going up and South or East coming home) from DC/NoVA and a pretty easy drive, if you don't mind 18-wheelers. I think it's almost exactly 180 miles, and it's a really pretty drive.
If it's a 1pm game on Sunday, you can definitely make it up and back and still get to work on Monday. 4pm, probably not.
Whoever thought that year at Penn State Altoona would prove so useful?

Grandstander said...

Well, I was looking more at the 16th. My girlfriend works Sundays, so that's not really doable. I don't need to see the debut, I just want those 12 dollar box seats!

Anonymous said...

I think there's something to be said that the Nats wanted to make sure Strasburg did not start in either VA or MD during the months of April and May

SilverSpring8 said...

Rats!! I was planning to see him pitch during Harrisburg's series at Bowie April 12-14.

Anonymous said...

Pray for rain on 4/11/

Anonymous said...

"Strasburg and Storen and pray for rain"
Hmm...doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but I'll take it!

REW said...

What I tried to say is I have tickets. four rows back in 110.

Anonymous said...

I want to go see him in New Britian... but if he stays on this track with no rainouts, he won't pitch in New Britain. My question is, will he still make the trip with the team if hes not pitching??

Post a Comment